Madison County Memorial Hospital (MCMH) is located in the heart of downtown Madison County, one block north of US Hwy 90 West. It is fifty miles east of Tallahassee, twenty-nine miles west of Live Oak and fifty-five miles north of Lake City. Madison County shares a border with Georgia, only thirty-miles south of Valdosta.
MCMH was founded in 1937. Today it is one of only 13 hospitals in Florida designated as a Critical Access Hospital (CAH).
The governing board of Madison County Health and Hospital District is made up of seven directors appointed by the Governor of Florida. These directors serve staggered four-year terms and are selected from applications submitted to the governor’s office.
The hospital began operations in 1937. The first building that housed its operations was obtained from the family of Dr. J.Y. Yates – the Yates Sanitarium, and still stands today at the corner of Shelby and Livingston Streets. In 1947, the hospital moved into a large two story building previously called the Yankee Hunting Lodge at 200 NE Shelby Street.
The first LPN program of the North Florida Junior College was held in the upstairs of the hospital. After the Marion Street hospital was built in 1954, the Yankee Hunting Lodge was sold and the building was moved to a location on Hancock Street and then moved again to 305 NE Livingston Street, where it stands today as a private residence. Camellias from Yankee Hunting Lodge were replanted in the Four Freedoms Park.
Legislation was passed in 1950 to create a Special Hospital District called The Madison County Health and Hospital District along with a $175,000 bond issue and federal funds to finance the construction of a new hospital in March 1954. The opening ceremony was presided over by Mr. James Hardee, the Florida State Governor Leroy Collins and Florida State Senator Turner Davis. The hospital expanded in 1970 and 1976.
Four Freedoms Health Services was established in 1993 with Dr. John Hsu serving as the first medical director. The clinic sold June 2014 to Michele Richardson and Gina Sapp. The clinic continues today as an independent private practice called the Family First Wellness Center.
Citizens of the county voted in November 2006 to implement a ½ cent sales tax to partially finance the construction of a new hospital. The tax was implemented on January 1, 2007 with 224 NW Crane Avenue as its new address. The Grand Opening of the new hospital was held July 26, 2014, kicked off by keynote speaker United States Congressman Ted Yoho. Patients were admitted into the new building on Friday, August 1, 2014.