The governing board of Madison County Health and Hospital District (the district) is made up of seven directors appointed by the Governor of Florida. These directors serve staggered four year terms and are selected from applications submitted to the governorís office. The District leases the hospital building to Madison County Memorial Hospital, Inc. (MCMH), a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization. The board directors that serve the district are the same people as the board directors that serve the not-for-profit corporation. This has been the leadership structure since 1983.
The hospital began operations in 1937. The first building that housed its operations was obtained from the family of Dr. J.Y. Yates. That first building was formerly the Yates Sanitarium and still stands today, located at the corner of Shelby and Livingston Streets.
In 1947, the hospital moved into a large two story building previously called the Yankee Hunting Lodge, located at 200 NE Shelby Street. The first LPN program of the North Florida Junior College was held in the upstairs of the hospital. After the Marion Street hospital was built in 1954, the Yankee Hunting Lodge was sold and the building was moved to a location on Hancock Street and then moved again to 305 NE Livingston Street, where it stands today as a private residence. Camellias from Yankee Hunting Lodge were replanted in the Four Freedoms Park.
Legislation was passed in 1950 to create a Special Hospital District called The Madison County Health and Hospital District. Soon thereafter, a $175,000 bond issue along with federal funds by the Hill-Burton Act to finance the construction of a new hospital were made available. The new hospital opened in March, 1954. The opening ceremony was presided over by Mr. James Hardee. Addresses were given by Florida State Governor Leroy Collins and Florida State Senator Turner Davis. The hospital was expanded in 1970 and again in 1976.
A rural health clinic, Four Freedoms Health Services, was established in 1993 through a rural health clinic transition grant. Dr. John Hsu was its first medical director. The clinic was sold in June, 2014 to two nurse practitioners, Michele Richardson and Gina Sapp. The clinic continues today as an independent private practice called the Family First Wellness Center.
On December 31, 2006 MCMH was transitioned from a prospective payment hospital to a critical access hospital. Citizens of the county voted in a November, 2006 referendum to implement a Ĺ cent sales tax to partially finance the construction of a new hospital. The tax was implemented on January 1, 2007. The site selected for construction of this new hospital was 224 NW Crane Avenue, 0.4 miles west of its old location. The Grand Opening of the new hospital was held July 26, 2014. The keynote speaker was United States Congressman Ted Yoho. Patients were admitted into the new building on Friday, August 1, 2014.